Benefits of individual membership include:
- Individual professional development. It provides a constant opportunity to increase one's technical
knowledge and keep up with the "cutting edge" of safety thinking.
- Three issues per year of the Journal of System Safety.
- Membership in a
local Chapter, providing opportunities for sharing experiences and networking.
Chapter meetings generally feature speakers who provide insights into a particular
- Recognition of
professional achievement through progressive upgrades of member status and
the Society's Award Program.
- Discounts on Society-sponsored
conferences and technical publications.
- Job referral services.
- A vehicle by which
you can influence the future course of your profession.
Types of Membership
The System Safety Society
offers two broad types of individual membership: Professional Membership and
Professional Membership is generally for those individuals who, at a minimum, hold a Bachelor's degree
in a science or engineering discipline, and who have some system-safety related
work experience. The Society has four grades of Professional Membership: Member,
Senior Member, Fellow Member and Member Emeritus. Fellow Member is the highest
grade available, and Member Emeritus is reserved for those who have retired.
Specific qualifications and documentation necessary for each member grade are
defined on the application form.
The Society offers two Administrative Membership categories for those who wish to be a part
of the Society but don't qualify for a Professional Membership. These are:
- Affiliate – An
applicant who is currently unable to qualify for the Student or Professional
Member grade, who joins without completing the Professional Membership or
Membership Upgrade application, or who elects to remain in this category.
- Student – An individual enrolled in an accredited college or university working toward a degree in a field related to system safety activities. Memberships are processed on a yearly basis by submittal of the application and a copy of the studentís course schedule. This membership has two category selections as listed below.
Note: Upon graduation a student can apply for affiliate or member status.
- Undergraduate Student: A student taking at least 12 of college/university credits towards degree
- Graduate Student: A student taking graduate courses in addition to having safety work experience
How to join or reinstate/upgrade your membership
Download an initial membership/upgrade/reinstatement application in either of two formats: Fillable Word document or PDF format.
Download an application for the Honor of Emeritus